POSITION: Market Manager
ORGANIZATION: Falmouth Farmers’ Market
LOCATION: Marine Park, Falmouth, MA
COMPENSATION: $15-$17/hour @ approximately 10-12 hours per week
COMMITMENT DURATION: Mid-May through Mid-October 2019 plus one Market in November
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 5, 2019
The Falmouth Farmers’ Market Board of Directors seeks a resident of Falmouth or a neighboring community to be the market’s on-site manager for our 2019 season.
The Market Manager serves as the face of the Falmouth Farmers’ Market. The market’s operating hours are 12:00 – 6:00 pm every Thursday, (May 24 – October 11, 2019). The Market Manager will be required to be available for the duration of the market season and be at the market on market days to assist vendors and patrons. The Market Manager is expected to be on-site 2 hours before each market and up to 1 hour after the close of each market.
The Market Manager will work from a set budget, and be responsible for all operations on the market day. A successful manager will work to develop a positive relationship with both the vendors and the patrons, anticipate their needs and work to meet these needs. The Market Manager will act as a liaison between the Falmouth Farmers’ Market Board, the vendors and the Town of Falmouth, and will report to the president of the Falmouth Farmers’ Market board of directors.
Managers are required to be available for cell phone contact with Board members on market day and for regular e-mail contact throughout the duration of their employment. Manager must be willing and able to work outdoors rain or shine and to safely lift and carry 40 pounds. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as interdependently with volunteer team members. (Also see Specific Responsibilities, below.)
The ideal candidate will have an interest in local agriculture, food, nutrition, community outreach and education. S/he must possess leadership skills, be organized and self-motivated, reliable, friendly with great communication skills, flexibility and the ability to problem solve quickly. Previous experience with farmers markets, marketing, outreach, and/or event planning and management a plus. Should have a knowledge of farming and familiarity with ServSafe certification, SNAP and EBT.
The market manager is responsible for the following activities:
- Educate vendors and patrons about market policies and programs, SNAP/EBT/HIP and matching programs.
- Staff the market manager’s table. Operation of the market manager’s table includes:
- Processing SNAP, and EBT transactions, managing money box and vendors fees
- Educating guests and others about locally grown produce and food sources
- Display and distribute educational and promotional materials
- Assist guest organizations at the community/special events table
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with vendors, patrons, community members, and Board members.
- Assist vendors, community representatives, and patrons by providing market-related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforce market rules and verify compliance with town regulations and safety measures, manage parking and stall assignments.
- Communicate, clearly, efficiently, and regularly with Board, including a monthly written Market Report that is used in official Board of Directors meetings and minutes as well as a year-end annual Market report on the overall performance of the market.
- Manager may occasionally assist vendors by providing limited setup help and brief personal breaks and by assisting vendors with sales during especially busy times.
- Manage and set up market infrastructure weekly, rain or shine, (manager table, signs, banners, etc., ring the noon opening bell.)
- Communicate with vendors
- Serve as first line of communication regarding market issues, emergencies and complaints.
- Hold vendor meetings if/as necessary.
- Ensure safety and cleanliness of the site before, during, and at the conclusion of each market. Direct vendor parking, loading & unloading.
- Maintain and transmit the market log, recording attendance, collected fees and sales of market bags and tee shirts reports on a weekly basis.
- Contribute to weekly email newsletter, posting to Facebook and various social media during market hours.
- Assist with publicity and promotion, including posting signs and distributing fliers
- Represent the market in meetings with community members.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO email@example.com or Falmouth Farmers Market, PO Box 179, Falmouth, MA 02541.