The Burlington Council on Aging provides enrichment and support for Burlington’s senior population. The COA is committed to helping older adults of all ages & stages to remain active, independent, and engaged members of the community. We are currently looking for a Social Worker to provide social and emotional services to our elders and their families to promote the well-being of our seniors.
- Conduct in-home visits to assist elders in defining their needs and to facilitate access to services, and follow-up visits to ensure adequacy of assistance; help fill out appropriate assistance forms.
- With agreement of elder or family member, make appropriate referral.
- Provide advocacy in areas such as legal, social security, SNAP, health, housing, medical & fuel assistance.
- Provide case management to frail and at-risk seniors.
- Seek/accept referrals from various sources.
- Maintain contact with hospital discharge planners, VNAs, Minuteman Senior Services and mental health facilities.
- Develop and maintain community networking with various agencies, organizations, businesses, and town departments in servicing the elderly population.
Minimum qualifications include
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with elders, with a Bachelors in Social Work, Psychology, Nursing or similar subject, preferably with a medical background.
- Patience and ability to adapt communication style to a diverse population.
- Sensitivity, compassion and tact, and ability to respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of standard computer software programs and office equipment.
- Knowledge of gerontology issues.
- Familiarity with various government assistance programs.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel independently to residences and other locations.
This is a non-union position. Starting rate is $26.47/hour. Hours are flexible, (15-19 hours per week) primarily weekdays with the possibility of nights or weekend work.
Position is available immediately. Applications received by September 13, 2023 will receive first consideration. Position will remain open until filled.
Methods to apply for this position:
Click on the Apply Now button (preferred)
Send letter of interest, resume, and application to:
Joanne M. Faust, SPHR, Human Resources Director
Town of Burlington, 29 Center Street, Burlington, MA 01803
The Town of Burlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer