Starts in 2 Days, 18 Hours
April 13, 2021 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
In 2020, our country was rocked not just by COID-19, but by the murders of Black Americans and the subsequent protests. This unprecedented year put social justice in the media spotlight, on our hearts and minds and on our agendas and strategic plans.
Here in Massachusetts, 2020 research found that 85% of municipal employees are white (compared to 75% of the civilian workforce) and that 78% of police officers and 84% of firefighters are white males. Our municipal workforce simply does not mirror the diversity within Massachusetts and UNCONSCIOUS BIAS plays a critical role.
In 2021, we hope you’ll join the MCOA and accelerate your Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) journey through the exploration of UNCONSCIOUS BIAS. In this highly interactive two-part series that will explore:
- The language of DEI
- The social justice and business cases for greater inclusivity
- How unconscious bias (aka implicit bias) forms
- How our brain make reflexive decisions, resulting in stereotypes microaggressions
- How our own identity impacts our world view and behaviors
- How the privileges we each hold can create blind spots making it tough for us to understand the needs of another
- Options for overcoming unconscious bias in order to evolve into more inclusive and equitable workplaces and senior centers.
* Please note that this is a 2-part series and that attendance at both sessions is expected.